Wednesday, September 29, 2004

"Spreading the Peace"

Bill O'Reilly interviewed President Bush recently, and ran the interview in three segments this week. Fox News has the transcripts up on their web site (part 1, part 2, part 3). I think the President is in good shape going into the debate tomorrow night. Some bits I liked from tonight's segment:
BILL O'REILLY, HOST: One of the big propaganda things against you is the classroom in Florida after 9/11 when Andrew Card (search) came in and whispered in your ear.

BUSH: Yeah.

O’REILLY: Let’s clear this up once and for all. What were you thinking?

BUSH: I was thinking America was under attack, I was collecting my thoughts, and I wasn’t about to panic a bunch of kids. And the program was winding down, I waited for the end of the program, I excused myself and I went to action. And what the American people will judge me on is whether or not I handled that crisis, in a way that lets them know that, that I’ll lead in this war on terror, that's what they need to look at, and I think they are looking at it that way.

...

O’REILLY: This time I want to ask you, why do you think some people get upset when you mention your faith vis-à-vis your job?

BUSH: I really mention my faith vis-à-vis my life, and I don't know. -- I don't know why people get upset with that. People, -- I’m asked a question, -- what does faith mean to me, it means strength and calm in the face of the storm. I mean, I do rely on prayer, and I am empowered by the fact, I’m empowered by the fact that people pray for me. -- I’m sustained by that, not empowered -- I’m sustained by that, is a better word. I don't know why people object to somebody who is, -- when asked -- says religion’s important.

O’REILLY: Is it important in your decision-making?

BUSH: It’s an important part of my life. I don't see how you can divorce religion and how you live your life. I mean -- I, they're -- if faith is an important part of your life it’s ingrained in your soul, and ingrained in your being. And I make decisions based upon what’s best for this country. And I pray for wisdom, I pray for strength, I pray for others who are in harm’s way. I pray for the soldiers, I pray for their families. And I make decisions -- I make decisions about earthly matters, I make decisions about how to get out of recession, or how to improve education, or how to spread the peace-- and that's what I believe we’re doing is spreading the peace.

I know that last line will be ridiculed by many, but I still like it. We aren't waging war for the sake of riches, or territory, or popularity, but to eradicate the jihadists and leave a legacy of freedom and democracy in our wake--just as we did for Japan and western Europe after WWII.


No comments: